Are you an Empath, or a HSP (Highly Sensitive Person)?
I probably don’t need to list off ALL of the different indicators, because I think if you’ve continued reading you probably already identify as a HSP. (And, aren’t our lives interesting!)
As a child I was often told to ‘stop being so sensitive’ – reacting to things differently than others. SEEING things differently to others. Misdiagnosed as shy. Deeply moved by situations, nature, music! Unable to function properly, in a lightheaded fog, after a hit of caffeine or sugar.
Although difficult at times, I’m proud to be a HSP, for I struggle to understand the actions of the contrast – insensitive. But, as you may have already discovered for yourself, self care is imperative for the HSP – and diet is a key player in soothing our Nervous Systems.
I don’t know about you, but the more ‘open’ and in-tune I become, the more sensitivity I have. I believe the natural state of all of us is to have these traits, but we've steered so far off the path that we've lost connection with it.
To those that connect to this, at this time, I hope it relieves you - as it did me. I've always been looking for the answers to why I felt, or did, certain things. But the (logical) answers provided to me, by friends and family, just never sat right.
Learning more about being an Empath from Spiritual Mentors has relieved me of the feeling that I was crazy! It has explained SO much and has allowed me to connect more deeply with the real me - instead of just sitting in silence by slotting into the paradigm.
1. Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others
2. They will feel emotions off those near by
3. You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it
4. Digestive disorders and lower back problems: The solar plexus chakra is based in the centre of the abdomen and it’s known as the seat of emotions. This is where empaths feel the incoming emotion of another
5. Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical
6. Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing
7. Love of nature and animals
8. Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don’t get quiet time
9. Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated
10. Strives for the truth
11. Likes adventure, freedom and travel: Empaths are free spirits
12. Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning
13. Empaths do not like to be around overly egotistical people
14. Sense the energy of food: Many empaths don’t like to eat meat or poultry because they can feel the vibrations of the animal
15. Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected
From (30 traits of an Empath - themindunleashed.org)